여기 나오는 Dear Gay community : Your kids are hurting 이라는 외국기사를 찾아봤습니다.

게이 커뮤니티에게 : 당신의 아이들은 상처받고 있습니다.

I loved my mom’s partner, but another mom could never have replaced the father I lost.
난 엄마의 파트너를 사랑했지만 또 하나의 엄마는 절대 내 잃어버린 아버지를 대신하지 못했어.
Gay community, I am your daughter. My mom raised me with her same-sex partner back in the ’80s and ’90s.

동성애 커뮤니티, 난 너희들의 딸이야. 내 엄마는 80~90년대에 나를 그녀의 동성파트너와 함께 키웠지.

She and my dad were married for a little while. She knew she was gay before they got married, but things were different back then. That’s how I got here.

엄마와 아빠는 짧은 결혼생활을 했어. 엄마는 결혼하기전부터 그녀가 게이라는 사실을 알고있었지만 당시에는 받아들여지기 힘든 상황이었지. 그게 지금의 내가 된 이유야.

It was complicated as you can imagine. She left him when I was two or three because she wanted a chance to be happy with someone she really loved: a woman.

이건 당신들이 생각하는것처럼 복잡했어. 엄마는 내가 두 세살쯤 되었을 때 아버지를 떠났어 왜냐하면 그녀는 그녀가 진정으로 사랑하는 사람 (여자)과 행복해질 수 있는 기회를 바랬기 때문이야.

My dad wasn’t a great guy, and after she left him he didn’t bother coming around anymore.

내 아빠는 훌륭한 사람은 아니었어, 엄마가 그를 떠난후에 다시는 찾아오지 않았지.

Do you remember that book, “Heather Has Two Mommies”? That was my life. My mom, her partner, and I lived in a cozy little house in the ‘burbs of a very liberal and open-minded area.

"헤더는 두 엄마를 가졌어"라는 책 기억나? 그게 나의 삶이였어. 엄마, 그녀의 파트너 그리고 나는 굉장히 진보적이고 개방적인 동네에 있는 작고 아담한 집에서 살았지.

Her partner treated me as if I was her own daughter. Along with my mom’s partner, I also inherited her tight-knit community of gay and lesbian friends. Or maybe they inherited me?

엄마의 파트너는 나를 자신의 친딸처럼 여겨줬지. 또한 그녀의 잘 만들어진 게이와 레즈비언 커뮤니티 친구들을 물려받게 되었어. 아니면 그들이 나를 물려 받은걸까?

Either way, I still feel like gay people are my people. I’ve learned so much from you. You taught me how to be brave, especially when it is hard.

어느 쪽이던, 난 게이인 사람들이 내 사람들이라고 느껴. 난 그들에게서 많은 것을 배웠어.
당신들은 나에게 어떻게 하면 용감해질 수 있나 가르쳐 주었지, 특히 이게 어려운 경우에

You taught me empathy. You taught me how to listen. And how to dance. You taught me not be afraid of things that are different. And you taught me how to stand up for myself, even if that means I stand alone.

당신들은 나에게 공감하는 법, 어떻게 하면 잘 들을 수 있는지, 어떻게 춤을 추는 것인지,남들과 다른 것들에 대해 두려워 하지 않는 법 등과 내가 혼자(외톨이)가 되더라도 나를 위해 일어설 수 있는 법을 가르쳐 주었어.

I’m writing to you because I’m letting myself out of the closet: I don’t support gay marriage. But it might not be for the reasons that you think.

내가 이 글을 당신들에게 쓰는 이유는 내가 숨겨두었던 내 자신을 드러내고자 하기 때문이야. 난 동성결혼을 지지하지 않아 하지만 그 이유는 아마도 당신들이 생각하는 것과 다를 수도 있어.

Children Need a Mother and Father

아이들은 엄마와 아빠가 필요해

It’s not because you’re gay. I love you, so much. It’s because of the nature of the same-sex relationship itself.

이건 당신이 동성애자이기 때문이 아니야. 난 당신을 사랑해 아주 많이. 이건 동성간의 관계가 가지는 성격 그 자체 때문이야.

Growing up, and even into my 20s, I supported and advocated for gay marriage.

이십대까지 자라오면서 나는 동성결혼을 지지해왔어.

It’s only with some time and distance from my childhood that I’m able to reflect on my experiences and recognize the long-term consequences that same-sex parenting had on me.

이건 전부 내가 어린시절부터 겪었던 경험들과 보낸 시간들 그리고 긴 시간 동성부모하에서 자라왔기 때문이야.

And it’s only now, as I watch my children loving and being loved by their father each day, that I can see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.

그리고 지금에 와서, 내 아이들이 아이 아빠를 사랑하고 또 사랑받는 매일을 보면서, 전통적 결혼과 육아의 아름다움과 지혜를 깨닫게 되었어.

Same-sex marriage and parenting withholds either a mother or father from a child while telling him or her that it doesn’t matter. That it’s all the same.

동성결혼과 육아를 하는 아이의 아버지나 어머니는 모든 것이 똑같다며 문제 없다고 말하지.

But it’s not. A lot of us, a lot of your kids, are hurting. My father’s absence created a huge hole in me, and I ached every day for a dad.

하지만 그건 아냐. 많은 우리들, 많은 당신들의 아이들은 상처받고 있어. 내 아빠의 부재는 커다란 구멍을 나에게 만들었고 난 매일같이 아빠에 대해 아픔(바람? 그리움?)을 느꼈어.

I loved my mom’s partner, but another mom could never have replaced the father I lost.

난 엄마의 파트너를 사랑했지만, 또 다른 엄마는 절대 내가 잃어버린 아빠를 대신 할 수 없었지.

I grew up surrounded by women who said they didn’t need or want a man. Yet, as a little girl, I so desperately wanted a daddy.

난 남자가 필요하거나 원치 않는다는 여자들 사이에서 자랐지. 내가 작은 소녀였을때, 나는 절실히 아빠를 원했어.

It is a strange and confusing thing to walk around with this deep-down unquenchable ache for a father, for a man, in a community that says that men are unnecessary.

마음속 깊숙히 지울 수 없는 아빠로 인한, 남자로 인한 아픔(바람? 그리움?)을 숨기고, 남자들은 필요치 않다는 커뮤니티 주변에서 생활하는건 이상하고 혼란스러웠어.

There were times I felt so angry with my dad for not being there for me, and then times I felt angry with myself for even wanting a father to begin with.

아빠가 없다는 사실에 분노할 때도 있었고, 함께 시작할 아빠를 원하는 나 자신에게 분노할 때도 있었지.

There are parts of me that still grieve over that loss today.

오늘도 내 일부분은 그 잃어버린 것들로 슬퍼하고 있어.

I’m not saying that you can’t be good parents. You can. I had one of the best.

난 당신들이 좋은 부모가 될 수 없다고 말하는게 아냐. 될 수 있고. 난 최고의 부모를 가졌었어.

I’m also not saying that being raised by straight parents means everything will turn out okay.

또한 이성애자 부모사이에서 길러진다고 모든 것이 잘 될것 이라고 말하는 것도 아냐.

We know there are so many different ways that the family unit can break down and cause kids to suffer: divorce, abandonment, infidelity, abuse, death, etc. But by and large, the best and most successful family structure is one in which kids are being raised by both their mother and father.

우리는 가족이 무너지고 아이들에게 고통을 주는 수많은 이유들을 알아. 이혼, 방치, 부정, 학대, 죽음 등. 하지만 가장 좋고 성공적인 가족관계는 아이들이 그들의 친부모사이에서 길러질 때 이루어지는 경우가 많아.

Why Can’t Gay People’s Kids Be Honest?

왜 동성애자의 아이들은 정직해지지 못할까?

Gay marriage doesn’t just redefine marriage, but also parenting.

동성결혼은 결혼이나 육아를 재정의하지 않아.

It promotes and normalizes a family structure that necessarily denies us something precious and foundational.

동성결혼으로 만들어지는 가족관계는 불가피하게 우리에게 귀중하면서도 근본적인 것들을 부정하게 돼

It denies us something we need and long for, while at the same time tells us that we don’t need what we naturally crave. 

이것은 우리에게 필요한 것들을 부정하는 동시에 우리가 자연적으로 간절히 원하는 것들을 필요없다고 말하지.

That we will be okay. But we’re not. We’re hurting.

우리들은 괜찮을 거라고. 하지만 우린 아냐. 우린 상처받고 있어.

Kids of divorced parents are allowed to say, “Hey, mom and dad, I love you, but the divorce crushed me and has been so hard. It shattered my trust and made me feel like it was my fault. It is so hard living in two different houses.”

이혼가정의 아이들은 말할 수 있어, " 안녕, 엄마 아빠, 사랑해. 하지만 이혼은 나를 뭉개버렸고 힘들게 만들었어. 나의 믿음을 산산조각 내버렸고 이것이 내 잘못인것처럼 느끼게 했어. 다른 두 집에서 사는건 너무나도 힘들어."

Kids of adoption are allowed to say, “Hey, adoptive parents, I love you. But this is really hard for me. I suffer because my relationship with my first parents was broken. I’m confused and I miss them even though I’ve never met them.”

입양당한 아이들은 말할 수 있어, " 안녕, 양부모님, 사랑해. 하지만 이건 나에게 너무 힘든 일이야. 난 첫부모와의 관계가 부서진 것에 고통받고 있어. 난 혼란스럽고 그들을 그리워해 내가 한번도 보지 못했을지라도 말이야."

But children of same-sex parents haven’t been given the same voice. It’s not just me. There are so many of us.

하지만 동성부모에게 입양된 아이들은 그런 목소리를 내지 못하고있어. 나만 그런게 아냐 나같은 많은 사람들이 있지.

Many of us are too scared to speak up and tell you about our hurt and pain, because for whatever reason it feels like you’re not listening. That you don’t want to hear.

우리들은 당신들에게 우리의 상처와 고통을 소리내어 말하는것을 두려워해 왜냐하면 무슨 이유에서인지 당신들은 듣고 있지 않다고 느껴지거든, 당신들이 듣고 싶지 않은 것들을 말이야.

If we say we are hurting because we were raised by same-sex parents, we are either ignored or labeled a hater.

만약 우리가 우리는 동성부모 밑에서 자라며 고통받고 있다고 말한다면, 우리는 무시되거나 혐오주의자라고 딱지붙겠지.

This isn’t about hate at all. I know you understand the pain of a label that doesn’t fit and the pain of a label that is used to malign or silence you.

이건 혐오에 대한 것이 전혀 아니야. 난 알아 올바르지 않다는 딱지가 붙는 고통과 나쁘다며 침묵하라는 딱지가 붙는 고통을 당신들은 이해하고 있다는 것을.

And I know that you really have been hated and that you really have been hurt.

또 난 알아 당신들이 정말로 혐오 받고 상처 받아 온 것을

I was there, at the marches, when they held up signs that said, “God hates fags” and “AIDS cures homosexuality.” I cried and turned hot with anger right there in the street with you. But that’s not me. That’s not us.

난 그 장소에 있었어, 그 행진속에, 그들이 팻말을 들고 "신은 호모새끼들을 싫어한다" "에이즈는 동성애를 치료한다."라고 말했지. 난 울었고 분노에 뜨겁게 달아오른채 그 곳, 그 거리 위에 당신들과 있었어. 하지만 이런건 원래 우리가 아니야.

I know this is a hard conversation. But we need to talk about it. If anyone can talk about hard things, it’s us. You taught me that.

이건 힘든 대화가 될꺼라고 알고있어. 하지만 우린 얘기해야만 해. 만얀 누군가 힘든 것들에 대해 말할 수 있다면, 그건 우리야. 당신들이 가르쳐줬잖아.

(오역이 있을 수 있습니다.)

개인적인 결론.

짤만 보고 동성부모가 무조건 잘못됐다고 말하는건 옳지 않은것 같네요. 기사를 쓴 글쓴이도 자신의 동성부모가 최고라고 말하고 있고요.

다만 앞으로는 동성부모 사이의 아이들도 자신의 목소리를 낼 수 있게 되고 또 그 목소리에 귀기울이는 자세가 필요하다 생각됩니다.