http://us.heroesofthestorm.com/esports/en/news/21033999

Zero to Hero: Team Tempest’s Sign
Blizzard Entertainment
September 19, 2017
Many world champions have come and gone in Heroes of the Storm, but only one team ever seemed truly, utterly unbeatable: early 2016’s MVP Black. The legendary squad still holds the record for the best win streak in Heroes history—41 straight games—including an undefeated run through the Spring Championship. MVP Black's dominance was so impressive that fans dubbed the era "The Black Age."

Set_1-_Tempest-_Sign_(1).jpg
Although he was always considered a good—even great—player, The Black Age was when Yoon ‘Sign’ Ji-hoon rose to superstardom. While there were strong cases for all five of MVP Black's players as being the best in the world at their positions, Sign was the only one who no one could compete with. Fans and other players admired his hyper-aggressive flair and mechanical precision, particularly on Heroes like E.T.C.

More than a year has passed since then, and many things have changed. Sign, now on Tempest, is no longer the best tank player in the world, nor is he on the best team in the world. Despite his descent from the summit, Sign’s trademark proactivity and playmaking instincts remain intact. Perhaps the HGC Global Finals will be where he reclaims his former glory.

We caught up with Sign to hear about his path to pro, his career, and his approach to the game.

Did you play any other games competitively prior to picking up Heroes?

“I used to play Warcraft III and then League of Legends with three other friends: Jeong ‘KyoCha’ Won-ho, Yi ‘merryday’ Tae-jun, and Min ‘Darvish’ Seong-min. Back then, we just played for fun. One day, Darvish suggested that we start playing Heroes, so we did. All of us liked it a lot, so we transitioned.”

How did you all end up becoming pro Heroes players?

“When it was announced that Heroes would have a professional scene, merryday said that he would like to give it a shot. So we decided to help him, and in that process, all of us got better too. Eventually we all ended up trying out for teams.”

Was pro gaming always a consideration for you?

“No, not really. I was just an ordinary schoolboy. When I first started out, I used to think a lot about whether this was a good idea or not, and how long I should play professionally. But those concerns faded as time passed. I realized that I wanted to keep on playing for as long as I can without holding back any teammates. And I don't think that's the case yet [laughs].”

efore joining Tempest, you spent your entire career on MVP Black. Which periods during your tenure would you point to as the highest peak and the lowest valley?

“I think that I did pretty well in spring 2016, but the best I ever played was in fall 2016—right up until the finals of Super League Season 3, where we lost to L5. The worst period came right after that, starting from BlizzCon and on through the Gold Club World Championship. During then I was playing with too much haste, something that a team's main tank should never do.”

More than six months have passed since you joined Tempest. How does playing on that team differ from playing on MVP Black?

“MVP Black used to be a ‘perfect’ team, and everything was thoroughly systematized. In that way it was very comfortable. But on the other hand, because our norm was perfection, I tended to tilt heavily whenever things didn't going our way.

Compared to Black, Tempest is much more swingy. We look fantastic when we're on point, but when we're not, we usually look really messy. But that makes it easier for me to keep calm, I think, because there's no longer the pressure of always having to play perfectly. And it feels really wonderful when we're completely on point, when our potential shines through.”

You're known as one of the most aggressive tank players in the world. How would you rate the pros and cons of your style?

“I'm fine with playing reactively, too, but it's true that I prefer to be the one diving in. So I think my style is great for snowballing leads and closing out games when my team is ahead. And there are times when my aggressive play wins us a game from behind, so that's good, too. There are times when I end up throwing, though, in situations where more defensive tank players wouldn't have. Overall I think my style is fine, although there of course is room for improvement.”

You're also known for your signature Tracer. Can we expect to see you on other more off-role Heroes going forward?

“I don't think so, and I'm not a fan of position swaps in general. Tracer is the exception because I have more practice on her than most DPS players—I've been practicing her since summer 2016—and because we have such a perfect replacement in Lee ‘HongCono’ Dae-hyeong. Not only does he have a ton of experience working with Gyeong Hwan ‘Hide’ Jin and Jae Hoon ‘Lockdown’ Jin as a tank, but his style of play is quite similar to mine. So for Tracer I think the swap is justifiable.”

Do you have any parting words for your fans?

“When I first joined Tempest, I was surprised at how many fans the team has. And they always root for us, even when we don't look that great, so I always feel grateful for their continued support. I also want to thank my personal fans—I really want to repay their love by playing better, qualifying for BlizzCon, and doing well there.

And there's one last thing I'd like to ask of some fans: It's natural to like some players more than others, but please try not to support your favorites by putting down their teammates. It doesn't really help. It would be much cooler if you could support their team as a whole!”

The final week of league play for HGC Korea takes place this weekend, with the playoffs beyond that. Catch all the action on playheroes.com
/esports. 

템페스트 사인 선수의 인터뷰입니다. 번역은 오늘 시간이 허락하는 대로 하겠습니다