Hello again Maplers!

다시 안녕하세요 메이플 유저분들!

Eurydice here. Our office is a flurry of activity. We’ve been putting Global MapleStory Big Bang now through its paces for a couple of weeks now. We’re testing for bugs and making tweaks to the balance and content. More than that though, there’s a genuine sense of excitement as we finally get a chance to experience what you will in just a few short weeks. The new feel of the game is just amazing and the team here is almost totally focused on the future, as I know many of you are! As for me, I’m as excited as anyone, but while thinking about this week’s blog, I decided I wanted to talk about all the changes we’ve seen in the past five years. Take a walk with me down memory lane.

유리다이스 여기있어요! 지금 사무실은 엄청나게 바쁘네요. 지금 글로벌 메이플스토리에 빅뱅 컨텐츠를 몇주일이나 앞당겨서 투입시키고있어요. 지금 버그와 실수를 고치고 컨텐츠들의 밸런스를 맞추고 있어요. 하지만 여러분에게 몇주일 후에 빅뱅 패치의 효과를 보여주려니 다들 활기가 넘치고 있네요. 게임의 새로운 느낌은 엄청나요. 제작진들은 지금 모두 , 그리고 여러분도 그러겟지만, 엄청나게 기대를 하고 있어요! 저도 아주 흥분하고 있지만 이번주 블로그에서는 지난 5년동안 바뀐점들에 대하여 이야기 해보고 싶어요. 저랑 같이 기억의 길로 떠나볼까요?

When Global MapleStory launched over five years ago, it looked a lot different than the MapleStory we know now. There were only four classes, Victoria Island was pretty much the only place to go, and you couldn’t take a third job. Now there’s so much to do in Maple World we need to speed up the leveling just so you can see it all! Here are some interesting statistics comparing Global MapleStory when it launched to today:

글로벌 메이플스토리가 5년 전에 처음나왔을 당시에는 지금의 메이플스토리와는 완전히 달랐어요. 겨우 4가지 직업밖에 없엇고, 갈곳은 빅토리아 아일랜드 밖에 없엇죠. 게다가 3차 전직도 할수 없엇어요. 이제는 메이플 월드에서 할게 엄청 많이졌어요. 게다가 메이플스토리에서의 레벨 업도 엄청나게 빨라졋고요! 차이가 보이나요? 여기 전과 지금의 메이플스토리를 비교하는 흥미로운 통계가 있어요.

Global MapleStory at Launch
처음 글로벌 메이플
   Global MapleStory Now!    
지금의 글로벌 메이플

4 Classes

직업 4개

13 Classes
직업 13개
3 Worlds
월드 3개
10 Worlds
월드 10개
1 Zone
지역 1개
10 Main Zones
지역 10개
~450 Quests
~450개 퀘스트
Over 4,000 Quests
4000개가 넘는 퀘스트들

Big changes, huh? 많은 차이가 있죠?

The team here was much smaller back then too, as were the resources we had to work with. In just one example, when the game first launched, the team didn’t have the tools to create new events for the game. That’s how GM events got started. It began over lunch when the team was discussing ways to do something fun for the players. The problem was, the only thing they had to work with were monster sacks which allowed them to drop a monster anywhere. Someone jokingly suggested that they just drop a bunch of them in town and let them eat the players. After they laughed about it, someone said “Why not?” So they did. Some years later the event was formalized as “Day of Darkness."

여기의 제작진도 아주 작았고 우리가 쓸수있는 것도 적었어요. 예를 들어서 게임이 처음 시작했을때 새로운 이벤트를 제작할수 있는 프로그램도 없엇어요. 그렇게 운영자 이벤트가 시작했어요. 어느날 점심시간에 제작진이 유저들을 위한 재미있는것을 만들기 위해 토론하던 중에 말이죠. 문제는 쓸수 있던 것은 몬스터를 아무데서나 소환하는 "몬스터 꾸러미" 밖에 없엇다는 것이죠. 그래서 누군가 농담하듯이 각 마을에다 몬스터들을 소환한 후 유저들을 먹게 (헉!) 놔두자고 했죠. 모두들 웃었는데, 누군가 "좋은데?" 라고 말해서 몇년 후에 "Day of Darkness (어둠의 날)" 이란 이벤트로 공식화가 되었어요.

I suppose the team might have been really nervous the first time they put on a Day of Darkness. What if players hated it? What if they didn’t like the disruption to their play time in the town? In truth though, they just dropped the bags to see what would happen. the result was that the event was a screaming success. Players had to come together to defeat high level mobs and the event gave the highest level players the chance to show off their stuff for the noobs. The event was so popular and fun that even now, when we have tons of more complicated events, we still sometimes get the GMs together and have a Day of Darkness. In fact, participating in the event has become a sort of a rite of passage for new GMs. A running joke in the department is that every time a tombstone falls in town, a GM gets his wings!

제생각에는 제작진은 어둠의 날 첫번째 날에 아주 긴장한거 같앗어요. 유저들이 싫어하면 어떻하지? 평화로운 마을에 방해만 되는건 아니야? 실제로는 그냥 마을에다 꾸러미를 푼뒤 지켜보았죠. 결과는 엄청난 성공이엿어요. 유저들은 아주 센 몬스터들을 같이 힘을 합쳐가면서 상대해야 했고, 게다가 레벨이 높은 유저들은 다른 사람들에게 자신을 자랑할수 있는 기회도 만들수 있엇지요. 이벤트가 너무 유명해지고 재미있어져서 복잡한 이벤트들이 있는 지금도 어쩔때 운영자들끼리 어둠의 날 이벤트를 하곤 하지요. 사실 이벤트에 참가하는게 새로운 운영자를 위한 필수 의식 (!) 이에요. 사무실에 도는 농담중에 이런게 있어요. 각 마을에 비석이 떨어질때마다 운영자가 날개를 단다고요!

As time went on, both game and team got bigger. With more resources available, we were able to add tons of new content and features. Not all of it has been easy. It might surprise newer players, but the addition of new classes beyond the original four Explorer classes was very controversial at the time. Not everyone agreed that the game could support more classes or that players would even want them and discussion about them got pretty heated. Eventually we did add the new classes and many more besides (some more successfully than others), but the constant in every situation has been the intense discussions we always have over the best ways to improve the game. These days the topics are more related to game balance and the in-game economy, but the entire team is very passionate and very protective of MapleStory, so anything that might affect it are hotly debated.

시간이 흘러감에 따라 게임과 제작진 둘다 커져갔어요. 더욱 더 많은 프로그램을 쓸수 있어 우리는 엄청나게 많은 컨텐츠를 추가했죠. 다 쉬웟던건 아니엿어요. 유저들을 놀라게 할수 있지만 사실 기초 4개의 모험가 직업에 신직업을 추가하는것은 제작진 사이에서도 말이 많았어요. 다들 동의했던것은 아니엿고 게임이 더 많은 직업을 견딜수 있는지 그리고 사람들이 좋아할건지 아닌지에 대한 토론도 아주 뜨거웟고요. 그러나 결국에는 신직업을 추가했습니다. (몇몇은 아주 인기가 있엇죠) 그러나 거의 모든 상황에서 우리는 게임을 더더욱 발전시키기 위해 노력했습니다. 요즘 주제가 게임 밸런스와 게임 내 경제상황에 대한 것이지만 모든 제작진은 다들 열정적이고 메이플스토리를 아끼기 때문에 만약 중요한 주제가 떠오른다면 엄청나게 뜨겁게 토론이 활성화된답니다.

Looking back at the additions to MapleStory can be dizzying. Just off the top of my head I can think of Gachapon, New Leaf City, the Maple Trading System, Pink Bean, weddings, Cygnus Knights, the Monster Carnival, the Family System, thousands of quests and hundreds of maps. Each of them is a treasure trove of stories and memories. There are the late nights I’ve spent with the team during a version upgrade. I think about Chinese-and-junk-food fueled crisis moments we’ve had when we realized something had broken down and we’d all be pulling ‘round-the-clock shifts until it was fixed. Our stories are nothing compared with the stories of our players. There are stories of friendship, rivalry, love and marriage that run through the whole history of the game.

메이플스토리에 추가된 것들을 돌아보는것도 머리가 어지러워지네요. 머릿속에 떠오르는것은 가차폰, 뉴리프시티, 메이플 교환시스템, 핑크빈, 결혼식, 시그너스 나이트, 몬스터 카니발, 패밀리 시스템, 수천개가 넘는 퀘스트와 맵들. 각각 다양한 이야기와 기억을 가지고 있지요. 제가 늦은 밤까지 제작진과 버전 업그레이드에 매달린일도 있죠. 매번 우리가 뭔가 잘못된걸 발견할때마가 밤을 새야 한다는걸 생각하면 중국 음식/연료 문제가 생각나요. 그러나 우리들의 이야기는 유저분들의 이야기보다는 비교할께 안되죠. 우정, 경쟁, 사랑 그리고 결혼에 대한 이야기와 역사가 게임 안에서 살아있어요.

In the end, all the late nights and hard work were worth it. We’re very proud of Global MapleStory – where it’s been, where it is, and most of all where it’s going.

마지막으로, 우리가 열심히 일한 그 모든 시간이 그만한 가치가 있엇던 것 같아요. 우리는 글로벌 메이플스토리가 자랑스러워요 - 어디 있엇는지, 어디 있는지, 그리고 어디로 가는지.

Before the end of this year, we’ll be making changes that are bigger than all the changes and additions made in the last five years combined. We’re a bit nostalgic not just because the old Maple World is going away, but because we’ve relived these past five years as we’ve reviewed all the updates we’ve made before and ask if those changes still hold up. We need to decide what will be carried over into this new Maple World? Some of the decisions have been hard, but we’re confident that when all is said and done, we’ll have brought the best of the old MapleStory into the new.

이번해가 끝나기 전에 우리는 저번 5년동안 바꾼 것들보다 더 크게 변화를 시도할 거에요. 옛날 메이플 월드가 가는것도 그렇고, 지난 5년동안 했던 업데이트와 패치를 다시 보고 그 변화가 아직도 있다는것이 추억을 되살리네요. 이제 우리는 이 새로운 메이플 월드에 무엇이 들어올지 결정해야 합니다. 몇몇은 결정하기 힘들엇지만 우리는 이제 자신감을 살려 끝낫다고 말할수 있어요. 우리가 옛날의 메이플스토리를 최고의 새로운 메이플스토리로 바꿀게요.

We can’t wait to share with it with you!

유저분들과 함께하기를 기다릴수가 없어요!

Until next time Maplers,

다음 시간까지,

Eurydice

유리다이스

The MapleStory Team

메이플스토리 운영진

----------------------------------------------------

글로벌 메이플스토리의 운영진중 한분이신 유리다이스 님께서 운영하시는 블로그에 올라온 글입니다. (블로그라고는 하지만 사이트의 한부분이에요...) 이 글에서 보실수 있듯이 이번 해 안에 빅뱅패치가 글로벌 메이플에 실행될 것이고 또 많은 변화가 일어날 것이라고 하네요. 기대되는데요? 과연 우리나라와 달리 빅뱅패치가 어떻게 글로벌 메이플스토리를 바꿀지!!?

※Day of Darkness - 어둠의 날 이벤트는 실제로 글로벌 메이플스토리에서 창시된 이벤트랍니다.

원본 크기로 보시려면 그림을 클릭하세요.